The “Hook from the Eye” trick he was performing on Ukranian TV was supposed to give the audience the idea that he had swallowed a fishing hook and then remove it from his eye socket. But that isn’t exactly what happened. Safronov accidentally did swallow the hook and it became trapped in his throat. His brothers, also part of the act, rushed to him and attempted to remove the device themselves before realizing that he needed proper medical attention.
The TV producers realized quickly that things had gone wrong and cut away from the scene.