Lowell, so obsessed with animal-rights issues that she hatched a murder for hire plan, on Facebook, with a level of detail usually reserved for planning a community bake sale.
In the fall of 2011 Lowell began to post on Facebook as Anne Lowery. There she explained that, “I would like to create an online community on facebook whi8ch would allow me to find someone who is willing to kill someone wearing fur toward the end of October 2011 or early November 2011 or possibly in January 2012 or February 2012 at the latest.” After explaining she wanted the victim to live in Northwest Ohio she offered, “to pay this person up to $830-$850 which is far more than I was originally willing to pay.”
In her writings on line as Lowery, she explained that she wanted the murder to be a mix of hit, protest, and demonstration and wondered if she should distribute documentation about the fur industry at the scene of the crime. According to federal documents she wrote, “I plan on staying after the hit for reasons of benefit to the movement, and think being caught would actually benefit me personally.”
The postings caught the eye of the FBI who began to contact her and eventually got her to communicate via email rather than the social network. She was sending the emails mostly from a university library, which is also where she wanted the murder to happen. She told the agent that she lived in a family that ate meat, wore wool and used products that came from animals – all of which lead to statements like, “So all of the speciest things I have mentioned…make me want to have the hit even sooner so I can get out of my house and hopefully get closer to ending the fur industry which is our goal,”
She also was very specific about how she wanted the murder to happen, but in her writings was flexible on details simply because she wanted it to happen.
- “You need to bring a gun with a silencer on it and that can easily be concealed in your pants pocket or coat.”
- “Do not wear anything that looks even remotely like fur.”
- “If you do not want to risk the possibility if getting caught with a gun before the job, bring a sharp knife that is at least 4 inches long.”
- “I want the person to be dead in less than 2 minutes (under 2 minutes or 1 minute or less would be better.)”
- “preferably 14 years old or older but should be at least 12 years old.”