The tech journolist, Robert Scoble posted this to his Google+ page last week. He calls it “freaky” in what this app can do… It’s called PlaceMe and its a free, new app that just might make you wonder what and who is capable of finding out stuff about you. If a free app can do this, well, what can the Smoking Man-type do?
PlaceMe runs in the background of your iPhone or Android and track and record every location you visit and collect a massive amount of data about your travels for that day. It uses every sensor in you phone to monitor all kinds of info. Here’s a list that Robert posted.
1. Where you live.
2. Where you work.
3. Your route to work (it can tell you’re driving).
4. What church you go to, or if you go at all.
5. What strip club you go to and just how excited you are (seriously!)
6. What gas station you stop at. It also knows how many miles you have to drive before you have to get more gas.
7. Whether you are walking or running or just standing still.
8. Whether you just got in a car wreck.
9. What your favorite restaurants are and what kind of food you both like and hate.
10. What kinds of things are you likely to have bought inside stores, or at least the departments you visited.
Here’s a video Robert posted with the developer of the app. It’s long but an interesting watch.